directory-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Ersoy <ole_er...@yahoo.com>
Subject Profiling DirServer with TPTP
Date Sun, 09 Apr 2006 02:41:54 GMT
Hey Guys,

I tried playing with TPTP a little.

Amazing tool.  It produces UML2 class and thread
interaction diagrams that highlight in red application
hot spots.

I hit some rough spots just going by the TPTP
tutorial, and I'll mention those + solution further
down in the email.

So now I'm trying to think what the right strategy is
for testing the DS?

So suppose I created a JNDI client that created say 10
threads that all hammered DS with lookup requests,
should that produce the concurrency issue?

Now when I did the TPTP tutorial I profiled the
Product example...So I profiled a Java Application.
With the approach above I would be profiling a server
using a client.

That's a little trickier.  I'd most likely have to
write a Probe (Which the Eclipse help is very good
about explaining under "Monitoring and Analyzing
Performance > Collecting Runtime Data With User
Defined Probes") and then use it to collect data on DS
while the client is running.

The simpler way though would be to run DS as a
application and just collect performance data that
way.

This would require me to check out the DS code, and
then figure out how to run methods on it directly from
a client sitting in the same project directory.

I don't think I would want to go through JNDI, since
that means I'll be tunneling through a lot of JNDI
method calls...assuming there's a more direct way of
achieving the usage pattern...?

In that case how would I write that client so that I'm
calling DS methods directly and which methods should
be profiled first?

OK - Here's some key notes from the TPTP experience.

The tutorial:

http://www.eclipse.org/articles/Article-TPTP-Profiling-Tool/tptpProfilingArticle.html

is very helpful, however there's no mention of THIS:

Here's the context:
You right click on the Product class
Profile As > Java Application

This brings up the "Edit Launch and Configuration
Properties"

Here you have to do what he says, BUT you also
have to go to the

Environment tab

and create the variable "PATH"

which needs to be set to the bin directory of the

Raserver...

The Raserver is what collects data...you need to
install it as part of the TPTP installation...very
straight forward though.

So to get the tutorial working all I did was

Install TPTP via the update site

Install the Raserver...unzipped and used the
getting_started.html install instructions in the root
install directory to configure and run...

And now it works...

If anyone has any questions or needs help with it I'll
be glad to do more research.

Cheers,
- Ole