directory-dev mailing list archives

From MartinZai...@synergy.com.au
Subject Re: Custom partition deployment process
Date Tue, 28 Mar 2006 00:03:26 GMT
FYI,

I fixed this by splitting my classes into two jars: one for the directory
partition (in $INSTALL_DIR/lib) and one for the logging appender classes.
I then added the logging appender jar (plus opennms.jar) to the CLASSPATH
in /etc/init.d/apacheds (well, actually /etc/sysconfig/apacheds).

Martin Zaidel

MartinZaidel@synergy.com.au
23/03/2006 12:33 PM
Please respond to
"Apache Directory Developers List" <dev@directory.apache.org>

"Apache Directory Developers List" <dev@directory.apache.org>
cc
Apache Directory Developers List <dev@directory.apache.org>
Subject
Re: Custom partition deployment process

Sorry, I wasn't clear: I'm trying to run Directory Server standalone (not
embedded), using the Daemon bootstrappers via the apacheds executable in
$INSTALL_DIR/bin.   That is, the server will be kicked off from
/etc/init.d/apacheds (ie., not via the command-line using maven).  On a
lark---since it seemed like the right thing to do---I installed my custom
directory partition classes in jar files in $INSTALL_DIR/lib/ext and the
server configuration files into $INSTALL_DIR/conf.  And the good news is
that the server *appears* to be configured correctly (at least no
ClassNotFoundExceptions for the directory partition classes in the server
logs with debugging turned up.)

The problem I have is that my log4j.properties file references a Log4J
SNMP appender (built on top of opennms---also in $INSTALL_DIR/lib/ext, if
you're keeping score at home) whose class is in my jar file (in
$INSTALL_DIR/lib/ext):  that is,  it appears that the classloader
shuffling by the daemon bootstrapping classes has the consequence of
disconnecting the log4j LogFactory class from the appender in my jar file.

I'm trying to find documentation/help on how to package/deploy the
appender so that log4j is properly configured.  That is, what the apacheds
executable does via classloaders and not on how to implement a custom
partition.

Thanks again.

Martin Zaidel