directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Shall we go JDK 1.5 in 1.1 branch
Date Tue, 07 Mar 2006 16:27:01 GMT
Enrique Rodriguez wrote:

> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > Other than cleaner support for SSL in MINA, what are the primary
> > benefits to ApacheDS for dropping JDK 1.4 support?

> FYI, we discussed this on 22-SEP-2005

> I've been looking forward to this for a while now.

Yes, and I am pointing out, again, that developers rush to new JDKs, whereas
customers upgrade much later; often *years* later.

> 1.5 has been out for over a year

And by 2008, I would expect to see most sites using it.  Probably a
majority, but not overwhelmingly so, in 2007.  What year is it now?

> In addition to SASL, we already require 1.5 for SSL in MINA and
> I, for one, would like to use some of the new concurrent
> collections and crypto.

So would I, but I'd also like to have people able and willing to use it.
What percentage of users would you like to use it?  Separate standalone and
embedded deployments.

> Util-concurrent and newer crypto can be covered by other means, but I
> feel strongly about SASL.

On this we agree.  But such benefits can often be obtained optionally, so
that the bulk of code does not require bleeding edge JDKs.  If I want to use
MINA or ApacheDS on JDK 1.4, I would have to give up certain features, which
I gain by upgrading the JDK.  That would be fine.  For example, if we change
JAMES to use MINA and embed ApacheDS, I would not expect to be able to
support STARTTLS unless running on JDK 1.5.

	--- Noel