directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Shall we go JDK 1.5 in 1.1 branch
Date Tue, 07 Mar 2006 20:59:08 GMT
> From my point of view, I really don't care if we stick to 1.4. The only
> thing I miss is Enum. But mina has some needs (mainly SSL) that could
> lead it to produce two versions : one for 1.4 and another for 1.5.

What percentage of code needs to care?  1%?  5%?  As much as 10% (highly
doubt that it is even close)?

The JDK 1.5 specific code can be isolated, and used selectively.

> As usual, every six months, this question will be raised and this is a
> *good* thing : real users will give their position, and we can think
> about the real consequences of this switch basing our decision on real
> cases, not just opinions

FWIW, we asked this question every 6 months to a year in JAMES for years,
and only recently did users say that we could drop support for 1.3.

	--- Noel