directory-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Shall we go JDK 1.5 in 1.1 branch
Date Fri, 10 Mar 2006 05:45:27 GMT
Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

> Noel J. Bergman a écrit :
> > To quote your own blog: "However, recent reports claim that only 20% of
> > users have switched to JDK 1.5, with 20% still using JDK 1.3, and the
> >remaining 60% JDK 1.4."

> > would we want to limit the potential base to 25% of what it would
> > be were we to support the vast bulk of the market?

> Are we talking about those extra 5% users above 100% ? :)

No ... discounting the 20% who are using JDK 1.3 leaves us with 80% who are
using JDK 1.4 or later.  Users of JDK 1.5 are 25% of that figure, whereas
JDK 1.4 users represent 75%, and users of JDK 1.3 and earlier are no longer
included.

> what will be useful [is] is to list features that need 1.5
> to be implemented. Then we may isolate them

Agreed.

> I must admit that for ADS core and shared-ldap parts, we don't need 1.5,
> from a technical point of view (Alex, correct me if I'm wrong).

I would agree.  MINA is where the dependences arise, and there are certain
features that can fairly be labeled as requiring JDK 1.5.

	--- Noel


Mime
View raw message