directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Trustin Lee" <trus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r385254 - in /directory/trunks/mina/core/src/main/java/org/apache/mina/filter/codec: ProtocolCodecFactory.java ProtocolCodecFilter.java demux/DemuxingProtocolCodecFactory.java demux/MessageDecoderFactory.java demux/MessageEncoderFacto
Date Sun, 12 Mar 2006 23:07:47 GMT
On 3/13/06, peter royal <proyal@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mar 12, 2006, at 1:08 AM, trustin@apache.org wrote:
> >       * Returns a new (or reusable) instance of {@link
> > ProtocolEncoder} which
> >       * encodes message objects into binary or protocol-specific data.
> >       */
> > -    ProtocolEncoder getEncoder();
> > +    ProtocolEncoder getEncoder() throws Exception;
> >
> >      /**
> >       * Returns a new (or reusable) instance of {@link
> > ProtocolDecoder} which
> >       * decodes binary or protocol-specific data into message objects.
> >       */
> > -    ProtocolDecoder getDecoder();
> > +    ProtocolDecoder getDecoder() throws Exception;
>
> Performance will suck if shared instances are returned due to
> synchronization on the returned instances in the
> ProtocolCodecFilter... Unless the synchronization is removed, it
> would be unadvisable to return shared instances.

It depends on the implementation of codec.  Some codec might be stateless so
they don't need any synchronization.  Of course, a codec factory usually
returns a new instance.  It's a user's choice.

Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/
--
PGP key fingerprints:
* B693 628E 6047 4F8F CFA4  455E 1C62 A7DC 0255 ECA6