directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Trustin Lee" <trus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Shall we go JDK 1.5 in 1.1 branch
Date Fri, 10 Mar 2006 23:51:24 GMT
On 3/11/06, peter royal <proyal@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mar 10, 2006, at 6:18 PM, Trustin Lee wrote:
>
> On 3/11/06, Alex Karasulu <aok123@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> >
> > (a) MINA sticks to 1.4 support without messing with byte code and
> > experiments with retroweaver.  She should release a 1.0 and have a solid
> > stable API for 1.4 and 1.5 support.  At this point I'd like to see mina
> > graduate incubation and start a new branch 1.1 which focuses on JDK1.5
> > with mina 1.0 as 1.4 fall back.  This can occur in about 4-6 months
> > IMHO.
>

> If MINA is released with 1.4 and 1.5 support not using retrotranslator, we
> have to maintain two branches for one release.  Do you mean it?  I have done
> it before with other projects and it was a real overhead.
>

> I think Alex means that Mina 1.0 wouldn't use any 1.5-specific features.

If so, it's fine. :)

BTW it is very strange that nobody responses to my messages about
> retrotranslator (not retroweaver).  I want to listen to any reason behind
> all other people's opinions with respect to my opinion.
>

> I'm fine with retrotranslater, but only because I wouldn't be using it in
> any production systems :) I totally understand the concerns of people about
> using bytecode modification in production systems.

I think it doesn't have much difference from AOP or runtime bytecode
generation which is used by modern frameworks such as Hibernate and
Springframework.  So I guess it is just because we didn't experience
retrotranslator enough.  Considering its internal translation mechanism, it
is almost 1-to-1 translation via a translation dictionary, which should be
quite safe.

Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/
--
PGP key fingerprints:
* B693 628E 6047 4F8F CFA4  455E 1C62 A7DC 0255 ECA6