directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Trustin Lee" <trus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Shall we go JDK 1.5 in 1.1 branch
Date Fri, 10 Mar 2006 00:16:38 GMT
On 3/10/06, Ceki Gülcü <listid@qos.ch> wrote:

> I tried to summarize some of the arguments given here in my blog (see
> below). In a nutshell, aiming for JDK 1.4 compatibility using JDK 1.5
> language features is likely to be messy, especially if you accept patches
> from "outside" developers. On the other hand, who would blame you to want
> to switch to JDK 1.5 when JDK 1.6 is in the offing?

I'd like to say maintaining the backward compatibiliy can become messy just
because of the lack of the feature in retrotranslator, not because of the
techinique itself.  If retrotranslator builds an API dictionary which
contains the API difference between JDK 1.4 and 1.5, then we can return an
error while translation very easily without much cost.  Actually, I want to
contribute this feature to the retrotranslator team.

Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/
--
PGP key fingerprints:
* B693 628E 6047 4F8F CFA4  455E 1C62 A7DC 0255 ECA6