directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Trustin Lee" <trus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Shall we go JDK 1.5 in 1.1 branch
Date Tue, 07 Mar 2006 23:28:38 GMT

> > Util-concurrent and newer crypto can be covered by other means, but I
> > feel strongly about SASL.
>
> On this we agree.  But such benefits can often be obtained optionally, so
> that the bulk of code does not require bleeding edge JDKs.  If I want to
> use
> MINA or ApacheDS on JDK 1.4, I would have to give up certain features,
> which
> I gain by upgrading the JDK.  That would be fine.  For example, if we
> change
> JAMES to use MINA and embed ApacheDS, I would not expect to be able to
> support STARTTLS unless running on JDK 1.5.

I agree with you all ApacheDS and MINA users should be able to use them on
JDK 1.4.  My idea is to enable backward compatibility using bytecode
manipulator which is a reasonable solution so the requirement remains the
same and we can use advanced language features like generics and covariant
return types yet.  These language features help us to program more
effectively and users to use cleaner API if they use the API on Java 5.
We'll also have to be careful not to expose unsafe collections and APIs
without backward compatibility where user and our software interacts, but
it's just another matter.

Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/
--
PGP key fingerprints:
* B693 628E 6047 4F8F CFA4  455E 1C62 A7DC 0255 ECA6