directory-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <lis...@qos.ch>
Subject RE: Shall we go JDK 1.5 in 1.1 branch
Date Thu, 09 Mar 2006 21:45:56 GMT
At 08:26 PM 3/9/2006, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>To quote your own blog: "However, recent reports claim that only 20% of
>users have switched to JDK 1.5, with 20% still using JDK 1.3, and the
>remaining 60% JDK 1.4."
>
>So assuming those figures to be accurate (from where did they come?), would
>we want to limit the potential base to 25% of what it would be were we to
>support the vast bulk of the market?

The JDK market figures were reported in an article I read on TSS. They
sound quite plausible but I can't vouch for their reliability,

A friend recently told me that the entire development effort of his company
was based on C++ because a required statistical library was available only
in C++. I am mentioning this because if a given library is a requirement,
then clients will find ways of using/supporting it. This is certainly true
if the product is standalone. After all JDK 1.5 is available on most
platforms and installing it is not an issue. As for embedded mode, maybe
Geronimo could still embed it. In log4j for example, we support a few
libraries requiring JDK 1.4, whereas log4j itself could be compiled and run
using JDK 1.2 (except of course those libs requiring later JDKS). Geronimo
folks probably already know how to deal with such issues. Does anyone know
if they have an opinion on the subject?

Just my unsolicited 2c.

--
Ceki Gülcü