directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Zoerner <szoer...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Connecting using RDN
Date Thu, 30 Mar 2006 05:20:41 GMT
Andre Fonseca wrote:

> Well, as I answered in the Alex email I´d like to login using only
> user/pass, I dont know if its possible....

Hi Andre!

In LDAP simple bind, only the DN/password pair is intended for
authentication. So the system works as expected. If applications provide
the functionality you described (user/pass), they often do this:

1. User enters user and pass
2. Application performs an LDAP search operation to find the user entry
(DN) which matches the given user ID.
3. If an entry is found, application perform a simple bind with DN of
the entry and the given password

(If no entry is found, the user does not exist. If more than one entry
is found, the user ID is not unique within the search scope).

I hope this helps

Greetings from Hamburg,
     Stefan