directory-dev mailing list archives

From Enrique Rodriguez <enriqu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: LDAP schema for DHCP
Date Wed, 29 Mar 2006 19:02:25 GMT
Jörg Henne wrote:
> Hi,
>
> looking at the DHCP schema included with DS, I noticed that the
> specification it is apparently based on
> (http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/02mar/I-D/draft-ietf-dhc-ldap-schema-00.txt)
> has the status of a working draft. Furthermore, the specification is
> largely very unclear about the actual use of the attribute it defines,
> and gives even less hints about the object layout it is supposed to use.
> Does anyone know, whether there is
> - a newer specification than the one I found, or
> - some clarifying supplementary documentation, or
> - at least a reference implementation which could be raided for a few
> examples?

I can't speak exactly for DHCP, but for DNS we went through the same
thought process:  is there something existing we can use rather than
re-invent.  Unfortunately, we found it was easier to design our own DNS
schema, though we did use the existing one to at least get things
running and learn how a well-designed schema would look.

> If the answer to the above is three times no, implementing a DHCP server
> based on this specification seems rather futile, since there is so
> little documentation.

I'm not surprised and I don't think any of us have any objection to
removing it.  If you'd like, we are interested in a well-designed DHCP
schema and we can allocate a range of OID.

Enrique