directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: [Attentione] Reverted nlog4j 1.2.19 => 1.2.23 upgrade
Date Mon, 13 Mar 2006 18:24:39 GMT
Ceki Gülcü wrote:

> Alex,
>
> To begin, I am sorry about the hassle this upgrade is causing. Looking
> at the Maven repository at ibiblio, it seems that they (ibiblio) are
> publishing the pom files without modification [1].
>
> Here are some details about the process for building the jar file for
> ibiblio:
>
> - NLOG4J does not use Maven itself,
> - The jar file used for the Maven (Ibiblio) upload requests gets
> assembled by an Ant build file [2].
> - It uses the pom file defined in [3].
>
> [1] http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/org.slf4j/poms/
> [2] http://svn.slf4j.org/viewcvs/nlog4j/trunk/ibiblio.xml
> [3] http://svn.slf4j.org/viewcvs/nlog4j/trunk/src/pom/project.xml
>
> At this stage I am tempted to simply delete the dependency tags in
> NLOG4J's pom file. I could also add a <scope>provided</scope> element
> in each appropriate dependency. Which alternative do you think is better?
Hmmm going on a couple days of no sleep here so I might be babbling.
Take my comments with a grain of salt.

If you exclude these dependencies then m2 should not require them to be
present for nlog4j dependent projects: this is the simplest case.  WRT
nlog4j dependent projects the net effect is pretty much the same as
marking these dependencies as provided: nlog4j dependent projects would
not include these SUN API jars as dependencies.  The only reason why you
may want to mark them as having the provided scope is for your nlog4j
build process.  Meaning if you must compile these classes which depend
on SUN API's then these jars must be present. That is if you used m2 but
you don't.

So in conclusion the approach does not really matter.  You can remove
the deps or include them and mark them with the provided scope.  Now I
don't know if there is some benefit for publishing the fact that you
have classes depending on these SUN artifacts by including them in your
pom.  You might want to get some recommendations from the maven peeps on
this.  They certainly have more vision than I do.

HTH,
Alex

P.S. If/when you change your pom though, make sure you bump your
revision number to say 1.2.24 because people will have already pulled
down your old non-snapshot pom: you'll want to leave your old pom there
as is.