directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: [Attentione] Reverted nlog4j 1.2.19 => 1.2.23 upgrade
Date Mon, 13 Mar 2006 16:11:34 GMT
Ceki,

My comments are inline...

 Gülcü wrote:
> At 08:58 AM 3/11/2006, Alex Karasulu wrote:
>
>> Just kidding but we need to talk to Ceki about this and see if he can
>> change his pom.  At this point we cannot upgrade to the 1.0 slf4j
>> compatible nlog4j.  It adds things like the jmx jar, activation,
>> mail, and I think I even saw Maven download my mother in law.
>
>> This happened once before and Ceki reverted.  I don't think he'd
>> stick with this so we just need to talk to him.  Perhaps he's unaware
>> of it creeping in again.
>
> No, I am not aware of jmx, activation, mail... jar files creeping in
> as requirements downstream. Those files are required for compiling
> NLOG4J (as well as log4j) but compiling log4j/nlog4j should not be an
> ADS concern. NLOG4J SVN repository [1] indicates that the NLOG4J's POM
> file has not changed since 28th of August 2005. You also mentioned
> that ADS was currently using 1.2.19 which was released around December
> 2005. Given that NLOG4J's POM file has not changed between 1.2.19 and
> 1.2.23, there is nothing to revert, is there?
>
> [1]
> http://svn.slf4j.org/viewcvs/nlog4j/trunk/src/pom/project.xml?rev=243&view=log

Hmmm that's very odd.  Something had to change.  Looks like this is a
Maven 1 pom.  So someone put together the Maven 2 pom for you at ibiblio
without considering the scope of the dependencies.  In maven 2 you can
control dependency scope.  Meaning you can make things dependent for
test, or just compile stages of the lifecycle.  Namely here these
dependencies should be of the provided scope I think: if they are used
then the jars are provided.  Brett Porter would know best but I hate to
bug the guy :).
>> Forgive the crazy email ... its late...
>> Alex
>>
>> P.S. Ceki help us to get to 1.2.23 please!
>
> I am not very Maven savvy but other than that I'll do my best.
>
> First question, are you trying to build NLOG4J with Maven? If not, is
> it possible to tell Maven not to drag in NLOG4J dependencies?
Yeah there is with Maven 2 and apparent this is what has been
misconfigured by who ever put deployed the nlog4j jar.  The dependencies
for sun jars should always be provided I "think" to prevent their
transitivity.  Incidentally our build uses maven 2.

Alex