directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: Shall we go JDK 1.5 in 1.1 branch
Date Fri, 10 Mar 2006 15:31:48 GMT
I was going to write a long email about this but let me condense it.

(1) JDK 1.4 and up is supported for all user types (including embedding
users) in 1.0 branch and this will never change.  This branch is alive
and well and will be maintained with bug fixes.  There already are
features in this branch that are 1.5 specific and you can get those by
adding some extra "components" but must run them on JDK 1.5 (SSL is the
only JDK 1.5 requirement at this point).

(2) The 1.1 branch is an experimental/feature addition branch.  Even
Geronimo will not look back and will use JDK 1.5 for there latest
development branch.  Does this mean we have to?  Not necessarily.  This
branch will most likely add compliance with OpenGroup.  It will also
introduce enhancements for performance in the database, DN handling and
in the asn1 subsystems.  This branch will release often hopefully but
that does not mean users should use it.  The real culmination of this
branch will be the stable release of 1.2.  This will take 4-6 months at
a minimum.  In that time more users will be on JDK 1.5 but we will still
have most users on 1.4.

(3) A clean break is always better than a half assed job period.
However we need to get our timing straight.  That's all this JDK
discussion is really about.  So we have to pick just when we make this jump.

So now here's my opinion:

(a) MINA sticks to 1.4 support without messing with byte code and
experiments with retroweaver.  She should release a 1.0 and have a solid
stable API for 1.4 and 1.5 support.  At this point I'd like to see mina
graduate incubation and start a new branch 1.1 which focuses on JDK1.5
with mina 1.0 as 1.4 fall back.  This can occur in about 4-6 months IMHO.

(b) ApacheDS sticks to 1.4 support in the 1.1 and 1.2 branches.  For 1.5
needs it juggles new components and leverages OSGi to help manage this.
SASL, SSL, Crypto libs and other features that may need 1.5 can load 1.5
specific bundles to do this.  This sucks and is going to be a pita for
us the developers but we can do it and we have OSGi to help. At this
point 1.0 dies and 1.2 becomes the main supported branch.

(c) Once MINA graduates and starts work on a pure JDK 1.5+ branch we can
start a new experimental branch for ApacheDS, branch 1.5 skipping 1.3
altogether.  Here we redesign the server to use all 1.5 features.  The
design/architecture and readability, maintainability greatly improves.
We then bump up the GA release branch to 2.0.  This is a year out in the
making.  Plus it will coincide with mina 1.1 or whatever we choose it to
be designated as for jdk 1.5 support.  At this point we can decide to
kill 1.2 or to keep on supporting bug fixes in it for 6 more months
(recommended) until SUN puts an EOL on jdk 1.4.

Summary
=======

(1) Users are happy, embedding and standalone users
(2) Developers deal with the burden but use OSGi to alleviate the pain
(3) We have a clean manageable break which will make life bearable
(4) MINA progresses forward with 1.0 and 1.1 jdk 5 support with a nice
clean break and gets a new home as it should
(5) ApacheDS 1.2 will pretty much have the same functionality as 2.0 so
there will be little complains.  The server will just be redesigned to
make it easier for developers.  There is only so much you can do with
LDAP, DNS and Kerberos.

DHCP is another story but we can talk later about this one.

Heh we can deal later with these headaches 1.6 will bring a year from now.

Cheers,
Alex

P.S. Can we agree on this and forge ahead please?