directory-dev mailing list archives

From Enrique Rodriguez <enriqu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Shall we go JDK 1.5 in 1.1 branch
Date Tue, 07 Mar 2006 15:27:44 GMT
On Mar 7, 2006, at 9:05 AM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Other than cleaner support for SSL in MINA, what are the primary
> benefits to
> ApacheDS for dropping JDK 1.4 support?

FYI, we discussed this on 22-SEP-2005.  At that time I stated, and still
feel:

"I've been looking forward to this for a while now.  1.5 has been out
for over a year and given how much more time we need to complete the
roadmap, let alone any sort of enterprise adoption, it makes perfect
sense to take advantage of many of the features in 1.5.  In addition to
SASL, we already require 1.5 for SSL in MINA and I, for one, would like
to use some of the new concurrent collections and crypto."

Util-concurrent and newer crypto can be covered by other means, but I
feel strongly about SASL.  SASL is the predominate security mechanism
for authentication with LDAP in SSO (Kerberos) environments.  All the
modern (Windows 2000/2003/XP) interactions with MS AD use SASL and it's
a key feature of OpenLDAP over ApacheDS at the moment.

Enrique