directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: Shall we go JDK 1.5 in 1.1 branch
Date Tue, 07 Mar 2006 14:44:40 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>> Are you certain that WAS 6 is delivered with JDK1.5
>>

> WAS 6 ships with JDK 1.4, and always uses its own, provided, Java
> environment.
>
> In the rush to adopt the latest JDK, keep in mind that you will be
> abandoning the bulk of deployments, potentially for years to come.  We only
> just dropped JDK 1.3 in JAMES.
>
> Other than cleaner support for SSL in MINA, what are the primary benefits to
> ApacheDS for dropping JDK 1.4 support?
>
> JDK 1.4.2 was most recently updated a couple of weeks ago, and has not
> moved: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/index.jsp.

Ok I see I had thought it had reached it's EOL already and SUN yanked it
to force users to "move on."  This is a bit crazy to think I know but
the 1.4.2 version was gone from their site for almost 2 weeks.  Anyhow
with this knowledge I don't know what to think.

All I know is this though.  I will probably not veto any move to use
this retroweaver stuff but I'm a -0 on it.  Something about it does not
sound right.  I don't like the idea of bytecode massaging at all.  Maybe
because it screws up my debugger making it freak out.  Is this a valid
concern?  Perhaps this is best on another thread.

Regarding this thread though, Noel you make good points as usual.
Perhaps the retroweaver approach can help but I have no knowledge of
what it can do.  Does it works when we depend on 1.5 API's that are not
in the 1.4 JDK and "weave" to 1.4.  Again I'm digressing to another thread.

Sounds like we need more consideration before jumping to 1.5 JDK.
However people are ignoring the fact that we have a living supported 1.0
branch in the works and it was started just a month ago.  Why the big
reaction?  If people need a directory to embed it can they not stick to
1.0.  Do they need all the fancy features in 1.1?

Or shall we keep the new features and enhancements in 1.1 modest and
release a stable 1.2 before we make the JDK 1.5 leap?  Where can we
moderate and compromise here?

Thanks to all for participating in this thread.  It's a particular PITA
because we've had this one before.  But please keep voicing your
opinions.  This is the only way to make sure we take care of everyone's
needs to the best of our ability.

Alex