directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Shall we go JDK 1.5 in 1.1 branch
Date Tue, 07 Mar 2006 06:46:02 GMT
Norbet Reilly a écrit :

>Not that it neccessarily concerns you guys, but the biggest problem we
>have re JDK version upgrades is IBM's websphere appserver which always
>seems to lag far behind due to having its own IBM-authored JVM.
>
>Our customers aren't keen to upgrade until websphere has, which ties our hands.
>
>I gather that pretty much all new work will be going into AD 1.1 after
>a month or so, correct?

Hi Norbert,

your concern is right, as far as IBM consider that WebSphere 5.x is
still a live product. By the end of this year, WebSphere 5.x will be
dead and all IBM users will be ask to switch to WebSphere 6.x, if they
want to be supported.

I know that customer with working applications may perfectly continue to
run them on non maintained versions of WS, but we still have a 1.0
version which will be perfect for that. btw, WebSphere 4.0 is using a
1.3 version JDK, and we still have people around the world using WS4
(trust me : I'm a living witness :)

So having a 1.0/jdk 1.4 version and a 1.1/jdk5 version just seems
reasonnable to me.

I'm just thinking about Geronimo which needs a 1.4 JDK compatible source
base. What should we do? Do we have to "inject" all the new features we
will pour into 1.1 back to 1.0 ? That's the good question in my mind. I
don't know if we should tighten ADS developper (I'm thinking of Mina)
into a JDK version that does not fit their needs, and I don't know if we
should do it the Tomcat way (having a 5.0/JDK1.4 and a 5.5/JDK5
versions), which will generate more work for all of us.

Further more, the longer we will wait for this move, the more we will be
stuck with the user base on old JVM...

I'll vote +1, strongly.