directory-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Ersoy <ole_er...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Shall we go JDK 1.5 in 1.1 branch
Date Fri, 10 Mar 2006 03:00:29 GMT
Hey Guys,

Just a general thoughts from following along in the
conversations.

I would think that one of the primary considerations
for 1.5 would be "real world" people/organizations
writing in to this mailing list and saying something
to the effect of "Please stay with 1.4, because we
have the following support requirements...."

So far there seems to be very limited objection to
1.5, and mostly in favor of votes.

So what about looking at it like this:

When is the 1.1 branch going to be production ready?
- If we stick with 1.4?
- If we go with 1.5?

Suppose it's 4 months.

That gives someone who's seriously considering
embedding apache ds 4 months to upgrade the embedding
application.

That's for people who are aware of apache ds and
seriously needing to embed it.  So far there has not
really been an outcry from those users.

So suppose that's because the RC1 candidate just got
released...and users really have not gotten their
hands on the red hot potato and started to spread the
word.

Suppose that happends 6 months from now and a lot of
organizations start embedding / using it.

Out of all the users how many really need to embed it?

Can't they just run it in a separate jvm until they
upgrade the code to 1.5 and embed away..../...what are
the use cases that absolutely require the server to be
embedded?

I figured since we were looking at statistics and such
it might help to say something like...ok suppose 50%
of the market is running jvm 1.4 in their apps when
1.1 is ready with 1.5?  Out of that 50% how many need
to / want to embed apache ds?  Does there exist a use
case where someone absolutely has to embed it or can
they get around it until they upgrade the embedding
code to 1.5?

One consideration for answering that is that the
people doing the embedding have to be relatively solid
software engineers, creating a fairly unique product.
If the are smart enough to do that, I would think that
they would be sharp enough to rapidly upgrade their
code.

Just guessing I would think that 90%-95% are
organizations that need a directory server for
traditional authentication and authorization / mail
address lookup type stuff...

Just some thoughts.

Cheers,
- Ole