directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Ersin Er" <ersin...@gmail.com>
Subject Convo summary: Procedures for Directory committers working on trunks
Date Fri, 24 Feb 2006 21:38:27 GMT
Hi all,

Today, we had a convo with Alex about the procedures that we need to
follow while committing our changes to 1.1 trunks from now on. Of
course this is not a strong set of rules but reflects what Alex would
like all of us to pay attention.

The convo started with my question "What procedure would we follow for
backporting some 1.1 trunk changes (fixes) to 1.0 ?"

And the convo evolved then and I'm summarizing Alex's points here:

* We need to be much more carefull from now on because we have a more
complicate structure with releases and branches. We should triple
check our work.
* When we want to apply a change to 1.0 and 1.1, we should first apply
it to 1.0 and then port to 1.1. Because trunks is more unstable and
more available for messes *** Doing the serious job first in 1.0 is
better.
* We should apply the patches from buttom to up, not from top to
buttom, meaning we should do it with commits as small as possible
(file based prefered).
* We should try to write better commits logs to able to track changes
and problems easier.
* We should document our important permanent/temporary changes (for
example I had commented out mina's netty codec module in mina pom
while it caused some pb with site generation and cause Alex did not
know it he needed to do some extra work).

*** And an offer from Alex: Breakage in trunks is not acceptable, so a
committer who causes breakage in main branches or trunks will be
responsible for making documentation for one week. A punishment ;-)
(And yes, we need doco!)

Cheers,

--
Ersin