directory-dev mailing list archives

From Ersin Er <ersin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [site] Generating the project site
Date Wed, 08 Feb 2006 07:56:37 GMT
Hi,

> Hi all,
>
> For now we put site source into trunk/site and trunk/<projectId>/site
> directory and use Maven 2 to generate the actual HTML web site and deploy
> it.  This is generally good for us because M2 automates most of the process.
>  However, there's an important problem that our new site apparently has a
> broken part for now because of the bugs or lack of features in M2 plugins.
> Considering the current situation, I think we need to use both M2 and
> script-based site generation tool to generate more perfect site.

I agree on a m2+script approach. Maven itself cannot handle some stuff
like, generating a fully connected site. We expecially need it for
docos that will be put into project installers for people to have it
when they install the app.

> For
> example, we could put a script like this:
>
> # trunks/sh-scripts/generate-site.sh:
> #!/bin/sh
> mvn site # Let M2 generate most part
> javadoc ... # generate JavaDoc for some project
> xref ... # generate XRef for some project

I'm currently writing some sh scripts for doing some work. But they're
not for making the site superior, they're just some hacks. (Command
like XML parsing is cool ;-) ) I'll work on it more today and I'll
have more to say about this topic.

> Of course, a shell script is just an example; we can use an Ant script to do
> this.

Ant seems to be a good candidate for things that will be done without m2.

--
Ersin