directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Trustin Lee" <trus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Mina] Architecture advice
Date Sat, 25 Feb 2006 09:17:21 GMT
On 2/14/06, daune.jf@daune-consult.com <daune.jf@daune-consult.com> wrote:

> > NBIO can handle this of course IMHO.
>
> Yes it can, but I wonder whether it brings something over BIO in term of
> performance.
>
> This is a general question I have towards NBIO.
>
> NBIO brings better scalability, at the price, IMHO, of complexity (less
> intuitive model, require use of FSM-based protocol handler).
>
> I always wonder from which nr of simultaneous connections NBIO take the
> advantage over BIO.
>
> I also wonder whether BIO perform better when load is not high.
>
> Actually, it would be interesting to implement the same protocol (average
> complexity) using BIO and NBIO, and compare their performance under
> several
> loads. Does such benchmark already exist?

JGroups guys published one:

http://www.jgroups.org/javagroupsnew/docs/Perftest.html

And there was also a test result that BIO with Linux NPTL outperforms NIO
even with thousands of threads:

http://www.theserverside.com/discussions/thread.tss?thread_id=26700

I think the result can change if MINA supports native AIO.

HTH,
Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/
--
PGP key fingerprints:
* B693 628E 6047 4F8F CFA4  455E 1C62 A7DC 0255 ECA6