directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Trustin Lee" <trus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [mina] DIRMINA-165 revisited
Date Sat, 25 Feb 2006 09:10:54 GMT
On 2/16/06, joshua portway <joshlists@stain.org> wrote:

> thanks for the warning - is anyone actively working on this issue ?

Not yet unfortunately.  Any contribution is welcome.  ;)

It's important to my project to be able to slice buffers ( actually,
> I have one permanent buffer, with permanent "slice" buffers pointing
> to bits of it and when the contents of the buffer change I send a
> load of network messages - one for each of the slice buffers - this
> avoids any copying or reallocating buffers ).

We understand your point clearly.  We'll resolve this issue with careful
discussion.

If no one else is working on this I'll probably give it a go myself,
> but I would appreciate some advice about why it was considered a bad
> idea for view buffer "containers" (mina ByteBuffer) to be pooled -
> can anyone help me out here ?

It is because it is very hard to keep track of NIO buffers.  It becomes very
error-prone for a user to release the buffer while its duplicate or slice is
being used by others.  There should be a trade-off somewhere to achieve
duplication and slicing of buffers.  Let's keep discussing on this issue in
the JIRA:

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRMINA-165

Thanks,
Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/
--
PGP key fingerprints:
* B693 628E 6047 4F8F CFA4  455E 1C62 A7DC 0255 ECA6