directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: Convo summary: Procedures for Directory committers working on trunks
Date Fri, 24 Feb 2006 23:15:07 GMT
Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

> Ersin Er a écrit :
>
>> * When we want to apply a change to 1.0 and 1.1, we should first apply
>> it to 1.0 and then port to 1.1. Because trunks is more unstable and
>> more available for messes *** Doing the serious job first in 1.0 is
>> better.
>>

> I agree to some extent : we should just apply fixes to 1.0 trunk. No
> new feature, just fixes.

Yep that's the way our releasae model works: same as Linux Kernel.

>> * We should try to write better commits logs to able to track changes
>> and problems easier.
>>

> Yeah... Is it a good idea to add the JIRA reference number in the
> comment ?

Yeah actually JIRA will pick up the commit if in the commit log you put
the issue name like:

DIRSERVER-24

for exsample.  But I do it manually too because some things can break
with the way jira does things especially when things move.

>> *** And an offer from Alex: Breakage in trunks is not acceptable, so a
>> committer who causes breakage in main branches or trunks will be
>> responsible for making documentation for one week. A punishment ;-)
>> (And yes, we need doco!)
>
> What about writing new unit-tests? Or checking the code for style
> violation? Ah, sorry, we don't have any style, isn't it? ;-)
>
> Btw, we badly need some doco !

Yes yes I love it.  Working on packages for 100% test coverage.  That's
fun too btw.  I love seeing green all over clover.  Style wise I
deposited a style export from eclipse into the resources folder.   We
should use this for now and people can ask to change it as we go if
people have issues.

Alex