directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: Failed to build the uberjar of ApacheDS
Date Thu, 02 Feb 2006 17:36:00 GMT
Stefan Zoerner wrote:

> Alex Karasulu wrote:
>

>> Exactly that's correct.  You still need this uberjar to work? It may
>> have issues now that we are using this new directory layout for the
>> server.  I can however create this layout on startup if a path to it
>> is not specified on the command line.  The intersting thing is how to
>> handle this since the uberjar has everything on in the System
>> ClassLoader.  I have to play with it some more but I can make the
>> uberjar work again if it does not already.  It just seemed as though
>> many did not like it.
>>
>> Alex
>>

> Alex,
>
> sorry, I have forgotten to answer you regarding the uberjar.
>
> I liked the uberjar because it was easy to switch the build/version by
> just replacing one single file. So it was easy to reproduce error
> reports in JIRA and from the mailing list with the exact version the
> user used (and check how "old" the defect is).
>
> You did a great job with the installers, and probably our upcoming
> users (especially newbies) will not use the uberjar anymore (but the
> official installer downloads) if we have a stable "setup.exe" for most
> platforms.
>
> Therefore I can live without (i.e. do not any extra work to make it
> work just for me!), but if any other reasons speak for the uberjar as
> well, I will be happy to keep my lazy style of switching between build
> versions ...

Stephan I fixed the uberjar and also added a few things to it.  Please
make sure it works to your liking.  Also you can kickstart the build of
the assembly by just trying to start the server with an apacheds.sh
script that I put the top directory.  Now your life gets really easy.
Now I expect some juicy detailed bug reports :).

Alex