directory-dev mailing list archives

From Luke Taylor <nega...@freesurf.ch>
Subject Re: nlog4j/log4j conflict problem (IncompatibleClassChangeError) with embedded server
Date Thu, 02 Feb 2006 15:42:28 GMT
Hi Emmanuel,

The problem is that log4j is a dependency of many other projects (e.g.
Spring) which we depend on, and maven2 ends up with it in the classpath
anyway.

I don't think it's anything to do with the ADS version. I already have
the latest source and I'm building our project with the latest snapshots
from

http://svn.apache.org/maven-snapshot-repository/org/apache/directory/server/org.apache.ldap.server.core/0.9.4-SNAPSHOT/

which were built today, it seems. The apache-ds core still has a
dependency on nlog4j in the latest Maven 2 file:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/trunks/apacheds/core/pom.xml

So if I am building another project which uses apache-ds, I get both
log4j and nlog4j appearing in the test classpath which is a recipe for
trouble.

I *think* (perhaps a Maven 2 expert can confirm), that if nlog4j is
marked as optional in the pom.xml, then it won't automatically be added
to my transitive dependencies list and I can then manually add whatever
version of slf4j I want to use. This is a particularly nasty problem and
hard to work out what's going on when you first come across it so I
think it's likely to recur when more people start adding apache-ds jar
files to their builds.

I could be completely wrong of course - in fact I'd be pleased if
there's a simple workaround.

Luke.

--
 Luke Taylor.                      Monkey Machine Ltd.
 PGP Key ID: 0x57E9523C            http://www.monkeymachine.ltd.uk