directory-dev mailing list archives

From Luke Taylor <>
Subject Re: nlog4j/log4j conflict problem (IncompatibleClassChangeError) with embedded server
Date Thu, 02 Feb 2006 14:23:35 GMT

Ceki Gülcü wrote:
> Luke,
> Have you tried using the vanilla log4j binding instead of NLOG4J? That
> should solve the conflict. The vanilla log4j binding is included in the
> SLF4J distribution.
> I hope this helps,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not quite sure how to do that though...
I'm only aware of it as an internal problem within a binary ApacheDS
distribution. Is there something I can set at runtime to change the

nlog4j is specified as a build dependency in the apache-ds core pom.xml
(and presumably other parts of the server) which I believe is how it
ends up in the classpath (we don't us it in the project at all). So do
you mean that if I can prevent nlog4j from being added as a dependency
and add slf4j-log4j12 instead, then that should do it?

Perhaps nlog4j could be marked as an "optional" jar in the apache-ds
pom.xml files to prevent it being downloaded as a transitive dependency?

 Luke Taylor.                      Monkey Machine Ltd.
 PGP Key ID: 0x57E9523C

View raw message