directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Zoerner <szoer...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Failed to build the uberjar of ApacheDS
Date Wed, 01 Feb 2006 17:41:05 GMT
Alex Karasulu wrote:

> Exactly that's correct.  You still need this uberjar to work? It may
> have issues now that we are using this new directory layout for the
> server.  I can however create this layout on startup if a path to it is
> not specified on the command line.  The intersting thing is how to
> handle this since the uberjar has everything on in the System
> ClassLoader.  I have to play with it some more but I can make the
> uberjar work again if it does not already.  It just seemed as though
> many did not like it.
>
> Alex

Alex,

sorry, I have forgotten to answer you regarding the uberjar.

I liked the uberjar because it was easy to switch the build/version by
just replacing one single file. So it was easy to reproduce error
reports in JIRA and from the mailing list with the exact version the
user used (and check how "old" the defect is).

You did a great job with the installers, and probably our upcoming users
(especially newbies) will not use the uberjar anymore (but the official
installer downloads) if we have a stable "setup.exe" for most platforms.

Therefore I can live without (i.e. do not any extra work to make it work
just for me!), but if any other reasons speak for the uberjar as well, I
will be happy to keep my lazy style of switching between build versions ...

Greetings, Stefan