directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Report #4
Date Wed, 01 Feb 2006 16:37:17 GMT
Hi guys ! Our forth report is here (and it recalls me a very funny, and forgotten langage of
the 80ies).

News :
------

Well, i'm late. Report #4 was due for lastweek. Sorry about it, but I had a *lot* of tests
to write to fix two issues I was responsable of. I'm done with those issues. They are dead,
burried. ("return or the living dead" next week ?;)

* 1.0-RC1 is a bumpy road. We have had 2 more issues, but we are now closer than ever (see
the bug list below). Next week ?

* We have a brand new MINA 0.9.1 which will be released in hours, or days. It's ready. That's
good news :) Thanks Trustin, Niklas, and all the contributors and users...

* We have a new MailingList dedicated to MINA. That is great ! Of course, the offside is that
Directory-dev mailing list will see it's load divided by ten ... unless we release 1.0-RC1?
We are actually waiting for this Mailing-List to be actived.

* We have now two new controls : EntryChange and SubEntry (see section 5 of http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/01aug/I-D/draft-ietf-ldapext-psearch-03.txt).
Good job, Alex !

* We also have two very interesting Extended Requests : GracefulShutdown and GracefulDisconnect.
They will be used to smoothly disconnect and smoothly stops the server. Thanks again Alex
!

* So Twix is definitively the new codec in the block. Hope it works well ;)

* It seems that we have more and more users, or people beta-testing ADS. That could be very
interesting to have a list of testimonies ! Guys, if you feel like sending us some infos about
what your are using ADS for, that would be great.

* ADS slowly increase its visibility : http://people.apache.org/~vgritsenko/stats/projects/directory.html.
More and more people are keeping an eye on it. Of course, the download numbers are not very
high : around 6 per day. May I be optimistic and think that those 6 are really early birds,
and those early birds will be eagles soon ?

2) Roadmap milestones
---------------------

1.0-RC1 for next week. Let's do it !!! Be aware that it won't be perfect...

Here is a list of things to do when this first release will be out before we can proclame
the 1.0 :
 o Make sure the uberjar still works with these installation layout
changes (it should).  If not this should be an option for those who just
want to get the server up and running fast without all these
installers.  I also want to rename this thing from main => uberjar.
 o Get this SAR contribution from Simon into the repo for running
apacheds inside of JBoss.  I'm going to make it a module under
apaches/simple
 o Finish the RPM installer in the plugin
 o Figure out how we're going to handle documentation package in the
installer plugin (we should bundle doco)
 o Knock out all critical bugs.
 o Change ApacheDS package names to start with org.apache.directory.
I'm going to do all the projects and take care of the artifactId
renaming.  The SVN layout will change little but the build should look
clean.
 o Cleanup all these log messages in the build - IT'S WAY OUT OF CONTROL
 o Need to get izpack installer generation working for mac installations.
 o Touch up installers and test them all one last time.
 o Kick off a vote

Bugs :
------

Here the list of bugs we have to close before 1.0-RC1.

It's shorter avery week ! And we have less blockers, and also easy bugs.

The only Blocker is DIREVE-314. This one is an absolute no-go for 1.0-RC1

DIREVE-327, DIREVE-308 and DIREVE-277 are the next targets.

DIRSNICKERS-96 may be already fixed. Alex, do you have a status for this one?

Links will be corrected soon, Ersin is doing great job on the site.

To be fix for 1.0-RC1
+-----------------+-------------------------------------------------------+---------+-------------+

+-----------------+-------------------------------------------------------+---------+-------------+

+-----------------+-------------------------------------------------------+---------+-------------+
| DIRMINA-157     | Webpage "getting started" is incorrect due to SVN     | Major   | Open

|                 | repository changes                                    |         |

+-----------------+-------------------------------------------------------+---------+-------------+
| DIREVE-314      | Stack trace overflow when trying to connect with a    | Blocker | Open

|                 | bad DN                                                |         |

+-----------------+-------------------------------------------------------+---------+-------------+
| DIREVE-308      | NormalizationService is not handling correctly a Name |         |

|                 | with a comma followed by a space in it: for instance  |         |

|                 | "text1, text2"                                        | Major   | Open

+-----------------+-------------------------------------------------------+---------+-------------+
| DIREVE-277      | Filters with less specific attributes do not return   |         |

|                 | matching entries with more specific attribute with    |         |

|                 | the value                                             | Major   | Open

+-----------------+-------------------------------------------------------+---------+-------------+

To be fixed for 1.0-RCx :
+-----------------+-------------------------------------------------------+---------+-------------+
| DIREVE-328      | ACI evaluation seems to be case sensitive             | Major   | Open

+-----------------+-------------------------------------------------------+---------+-------------+
| DIREVE-297      | [Access Control] Autonomous areas for AC must not     |         |

|                 | overlap                                               | Major   | Open

+-----------------+-------------------------------------------------------+---------+-------------+
| DIREVE-276      | Search for super OC does not return subclasses if add |         |

|                 | op does not add complete objectClass lineage          | Major   | Open

+-----------------+-------------------------------------------------------+---------+-------------+
| DIRLDAP-51      | Incorrect matched DN in the bind response (and others |         |

|                 | depending on the result code)                         | Trivial | Open

+-----------------+-------------------------------------------------------+---------+-------------+

Postponed to 1.1
+-----------------+-------------------------------------------------------+---------+-------------+

+-----------------+-------------------------------------------------------+---------+-------------+

+-----------------+-------------------------------------------------------+---------+-------------+
| DIR-123         | Apache DS 0.9.2 is incompatible with Spring 2.0 M1    | Major   | Open

+-----------------+-------------------------------------------------------+---------+-------------+
| DIR-115         | Query string gets normilized in most cases (when      |         |

+-----------------+-------------------------------------------------------+---------+-------------+

+-----------------+-------------------------------------------------------+---------+-------------+

+-----------------+-------------------------------------------------------+---------+-------------+

+-----------------+-------------------------------------------------------+---------+-------------+
| DIRMINA-162     | datagram session management fails                     | Minor   | Open

+-----------------+-------------------------------------------------------+---------+-------------+

4) Work in progress (Please fill the gaps ;)
-------------------

Alex : Bugs, and installers. Lot of work !

Trustin : The 0.9.1 is on the rails to success !

Niklas : In the same train than Trustin ;)

Stefan : Busy with a book to finish for march.

Ersin : He is now known as Mr Site ! He switched the whole site generation to Maven 2, and
even if he had some little worries and issues, it's pretty much done ;) Hopefully, it will
be Ok for next week. Thanks Ersin for this great dedication :)

Enrique : ?

Emmanuel : No more twix. Twix is ok. Bug fixes!

Phil : ?

Vince : ?

Brett : Thanks for the help on Maven 2. Many convos with Ersin.

5) Miscelleanous

What else ? Well, again, a lot have been done, and a lot more is to be done. But we are close
to our first achievment ! We will have to prepare some "press" release as soon as 1.0-RC1
will be ready. The news must be spreaded all over the world. Tell your friends, your colleagues,
your girl-friend/boy-friend/wife/husband, your mother, father, sister, brother, relatives,
your parrots, even your dog or favorite pet about 1.0-RC1!

Next report will be the release report :)
--
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com