directory-dev mailing list archives

From Ersin Er <ersin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Naming conventions for artifactIds, groupIds and how this relates to site generation
Date Tue, 24 Jan 2006 14:54:41 GMT
Hi,

On 1/24/06, Jose Alberto Fernandez <jalberto@cellectivity.com> wrote:
> > From: Ersin Er [mailto:ersin.er@gmail.com]
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Which form is better up to you?
> >
> > 1)
> > <groupId>org.apache.directory.mina</groupId>
> > <artifactId>core</artifactId>
> >
> > or
> >
> > 2)
> > <groupId>org.apache.directory.mina</groupId>
> > <artifactId>org.apache.directory.mina</artifactId>
> >
> > or
> >
> > 3)
> > <groupId>org.apache.directory.mina</groupId>
> > <artifactId>mina-core</artifactId>
> >

> This is the only one that makes sense in my opinion. It is short and
> informative enough.

I agree.

> > And another point: if we choose, for example the 3rd option, consider
> > integration and filter subprojects:
> >
> > Which one do you prefer?
> >
> > 3.1)
> > <groupId>org.apache.directory.mina</groupId>
> > 3.1.1) <artifactId>mina-netty-codec-filter</artifactId>
> > or
> > 3.1.2) <artifactId>mina-filter-codec-netty</artifactId>
> >
> > or
> >
> > 3.2)
> > <groupId>org.apache.directory.mina.filter.codec</groupId>
> > <artifactId>mina-netty-codec-filter</artifactId>
> >
> > or
> >
> > 3.3)
> > <groupId>org.apache.directory.mina.filter.codec</groupId>
> > <artifactId>netty</artifactId> (which mimics 3.1.2 which is strict
> > package-class like scheme)
> >

> None of them sound right. I do not think you need to say that is a
> codec-filter, you just need to say it is a bridge between mina and
> netty. The details of the implementation do not need to be transparent
> on the name of the artefact.
>
> So something like:
>  <artifactId>mina-netty</artifactId>
>
> Should be good enough.

This is a good idea, the *most significant two (or three may be) words* is good.

I had proposed the former because of maven plugin naming scheme like:

maven-site-plugin, maven-antlr-plugin and even
maven-project-info-reports-plugin..

Finally I think that the best approach is two or three significant
words artifactId and almost fully qualified groupId (which will allow
the package to be identified perfectly):

<groupId>org.apache.directory.mina.filter.codec</groupId>
<artifactId>mina-netty</artifactId>

<groupId>org.apache.directory.apacheds.protocols</groupId>
<artifactId>protocols-kerberos</artifactId>

<groupId>org.apache.directory.common</groupId>
<artifactId>common-ldap</artifactId>

WDYT?

> Jose Alberto

Thanks.