directory-dev mailing list archives

From Ersin Er <ersin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [site] Moving to m2
Date Sat, 21 Jan 2006 21:34:37 GMT
Hi,

> Ersin Er wrote:
>
> >The main site and mina site is build and deployed successfully at:
> >
> >http://directory.apache.org/newsite
> >

> Looks great.  Good to see Brett Porter helping you out with some of
> these issues.  Thanks Brett,
> we're lucky to have maven guy on board.  I'm probably more perplexed
> about the issues you have been
> encountering than you are Ersin.  However we're in good hands :).
>
> >Mina site does not conform to m2 conventions well but it works for now.
> >

> Yep.
>
> >The main site needs content and structure update. As Alex requested,
> >we'll have only three project categories: ApacheDS, Naming and MINA.
> >Other subproject documents will probably go under ApacheDS or will be
> >deleted if no longer necessary.
> >

> Perhaps we may have a sandox area for projects like authx.  WDYT?  I
> think the key to this is to
> limit the amount exposed to the user looking for information so they can
> get to it fast.  With 1.0
> simplicity on the site will serve us best.

For 1.0 we have to provide users what they need (first order
requirements). So instead of dealing with AuthX like doco, we need to
update user's guide especially. And ofcourse the structure should be
completely corrected for m2. And as you said, documents that are not
directly related to projects may go under a sandbox area.

> >For the project information part we can use maven generated style or
> >custom manual style. In other words, for example, we can have a
> >svn.xml to describe svn stuff (as we currently have) or we can make
> >maven generate it for us. The former was already setup but needs
> >custum content update. Now I've also made maven generate them for us.
> >For example:
> >
> >http://directory.apache.org/newsite/svn.html
> >vs.
> >http://directory.apache.org/newsite/source-repository.html
> >

> These are just fine IMO.

I think we'll choose handwritten ones for some documents because maven
generated stuff is more appropriate for project metrics, not
resources.

> Alex

Thanks.

--