directory-dev mailing list archives

From Trustin Lee <trus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Mina] Reliable UDP-based protocol
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2006 02:08:48 GMT
Hi Aii,

2006/1/19, aii@gmx.de <aii@gmx.de>:

> Hi all,
>
> I like to know your professional advice if the following project is
> efficient realizable with the current version of mina:
>
> I plan to implement a UDP-based protocol which offers features like flow
> control, rate control, ARQ and so on. Therefore, every UDP packet contains
> small header which stores
>         1. Flags (1Byte) (e.g. END-Flag, ARQ-Flag, ...),
>         2. Message Id (2 Bytes),
>         3. Fragment nr. (2 Bytes).
>
> So, with the help of the fragment number a message can be split into
> several
> packets. On server side, the message must be refragmented. Therefore, a
> received packet is delegated by it's extractable Virtual Connection Id,
> IP:Port:MsgId, to the belonging Message Session, which is responsible for
> refragmentation, ARQ, Timeout, etc. With regard to the performance a
> nearly
> zero-copy-concept must be implemented.
>
> Do you think this project is efficient realizable with the current mina
> version?

I think so.  We can implement this as a separate transport layer, or as an
IoFilter.  But what is the advantage over TCP here?

This protocol is intended for offering a reliable SOAP-Binding based on UDP.
> So, a refragmented request message often leads to a response. For sake of
> simplicity, each host receives and sends messages using always the same
> local UDP port. Can this be achieved with mina? If yes, how?

Yes, you can use a certain UDP port to communicate.  You can specify local
port number on the client site if you want to do.

HTH,
Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/
PGP Key ID: 0x854B996C