directory-dev mailing list archives

From Trustin Lee <trus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [mina] Compression Filter
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2006 08:53:37 GMT
2006/1/13, Vinod Panicker <vinod.p@gmail.com>:

> Actually if one looks at stream level compression, its different from
> how "normal" compression works.  Normal compression would write a
> header out first, and the the compressed data, and then the
> terminator.
>
> In stream compression, the header would be sent out only once, and the
> application would be doing "partial flushes".

Now I got it.

Now the Inflater and Deflater provided in the JDK do not (weirdly so)
> expose the partial flush functionality.  The alternative then is to
> use something like jzlib (http://jcraft.com/jzlib/index.html).

It seems like they've reconfigured their web server.  I get a 404 error.
Anyway, I like your idea. :)

For network apps, the normal block compression wont make sense since
> data might be fragmented when sent over a network.  There would need
> to be some application protocol that specifies the start and end of a
> compressed block.

Yes.  Definitely.  Perhaps using standard algorithm will be very important
for interoperability with other non-MINA applications.

Regarding the buffering, it would be a nice feature to have when
> communication need not be real-time, but it could be added on later.
> For the first cut, I'm looking at basic stream compression.

I see.

Cheers,
Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/