directory-dev mailing list archives

From Trustin Lee <trus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [mina] Maven 2 build failure
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2006 02:49:57 GMT
2006/1/5, Alex Karasulu <aok123@bellsouth.net>:

> Trustin Lee wrote:
>
> > I guess this happens when a user checks out only mina-* directories.
> > Maven 2 seems like automatically merge information specified in
> > ../pom.xml first and then fetch the parent pom which is actually
> > specified (mina-build:pom: 0.9.1-SNAPSHOT).  That's why it builds OK
> > if user checks out the whole trunk.
> >
> This should work in theory.  M2 will pull parent pom for you as an
> artifact.  This is why you are supposed to keep all info now in the pom
> rather than in external files.

It fails because we didn't specify apache snapshot repository in
<repositories> section at all, only except the root pom.xml.  The build
process will fail even before fetching the root pom.xml because it cannot
fetch mina-build/pom.xml, which is stored in apache snapshot repository.
Please try to check out only mina* directories and run 'mvn package' in
'mina' directory.  It really fails.

Another workaround is to specify the apache snapshot repository to all poms
of subprojects.  I'm not sure which one is better.  Any idea?

Ok let's discuss this.  Looks like you, and Brett recommend this.  I'm
> neutral to it all.
>
> Enrique seems to be the only one that adamantly wants a flat structure.
> Is it time to reconsider guys?  Enrique you around to comment?  Have you
> tried the new build?
>
> Let's figure this out *NOW* not 2 weeks later.  I don't want to keep
> perpetually freaking out users with these massive changes.

The flat structure doesn't have advantage in shortening the whole path, and
it makes hard for people to check out *one* project (e.g. apacheds or mina)
with single command.  And I don't like 'mina-build' directory.  It is not
straightforward for foreigner, and he or she will get confused where the
build starts.

Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/
PGP Key ID: 0x854B996C