directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: Naming conventions for artifactIds, groupIds and how this relates to site generation
Date Tue, 24 Jan 2006 14:54:35 GMT
Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:

>>From: Ersin Er [mailto:ersin.er@gmail.com]
>>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Which form is better up to you?
>>
>>1)
>><groupId>org.apache.directory.mina</groupId>
>><artifactId>core</artifactId>
>>
>>or
>>
>>2)
>><groupId>org.apache.directory.mina</groupId>
>><artifactId>org.apache.directory.mina</artifactId>
>>
>>or
>>
>>3)
>><groupId>org.apache.directory.mina</groupId>
>><artifactId>mina-core</artifactId>
>>

>This is the only one that makes sense in my opinion. It is short and
>informative enough.
>

>>And another point: if we choose, for example the 3rd option, consider
>>integration and filter subprojects:
>>
>>Which one do you prefer?
>>
>>3.1)
>><groupId>org.apache.directory.mina</groupId>
>>3.1.1) <artifactId>mina-netty-codec-filter</artifactId>
>>or
>>3.1.2) <artifactId>mina-filter-codec-netty</artifactId>
>>
>>or
>>
>>3.2)
>><groupId>org.apache.directory.mina.filter.codec</groupId>
>><artifactId>mina-netty-codec-filter</artifactId>
>>
>>or
>>
>>3.3)
>><groupId>org.apache.directory.mina.filter.codec</groupId>
>><artifactId>netty</artifactId> (which mimics 3.1.2 which is strict
>>package-class like scheme)
>>

>None of them sound right. I do not think you need to say that is a
>codec-filter, you just need to say it is a bridge between mina and
>netty. The details of the implementation do not need to be transparent
>on the name of the artefact.
>
>So something like:
> <artifactId>mina-netty</artifactId>
>
>Should be good enough.

Exactly, re: "The details of the implementation do not need to be
transparent

on the name of the artifact."

In the same light other modules like the ans1 and ssl modules not have filter or codec added
to the artifactId.  There should be documentation on the site or a README/README.layout file
in mina top level that can explain the details if people have any questions.

We are going to far ... playing with these names.  Let's add a readme, shorten the names and
let's stabilize.

Alex