directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: [mina] Introducing the New API for 0.9.1.
Date Sun, 22 Jan 2006 16:26:43 GMT
peter royal wrote:

> I don't like having this as a singleton with static methods. I need
> to be able to have multiple instances in a single JVM, and this
> breaks that. The new setup is a monolithic, which while great for new
> users, makes it harder to tweak the behavior. The old setup was a
> composition of multiple components, and I preferred that API style.

I see where you're coming from I agree.  In my last email I was
considering ease of API adoption for new comers over existing users.

> If the new IoService was merely a layer on top of the old API, I'd be
> more in favor of that.

+1

>> * No more transport-type specific property getters and setters.   Now
>> we use IoAddress properties and the user-defined attributes in
>> IoSession.  For example:
>

> I liked the transport-specific getters and setters, since it provided
> a level of type-safety when setting the properties, and you knew what
> you were setting (there was javadoc on the methods, no chance of mis-
> typing the attribute name, etc).

Again +1 here.  Man Peter I totally overlooked these points: thanks for
chiming in.

> The changes look like they help simplify usage of MINA in simple
> scenarios.. the examples are certainly much simpler, but for users
> that might have a more complex integration, they seem to be somewhat
> of a step backwards (my .02)

I'm starting to agree.  I'm a bit worried about the singleton with
static methods for using MINA in containers now.  This change makes life
easier for the new comer but becomes more restrictive for power users.

Alex