directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] General things to do for 1.0
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2006 22:23:42 GMT
Hi all !

Here where I'm on Log things :
- Slf4j is back. This will be the basic logging API for all the
"embedable" projets. We are waiting for 1.0 to get out, and right now,
as ibiblio only has RC3, this is the current version used.
- For standalone projects, we can use Nlog4j, I guess. 1.2.21 is out,
btw. We are currently using 1.2.17, and 1.2.19 is on ibiblio.

Q: Any better idea ?

- I didn't used jcl104-over-slf4j.jar yet, but I will try it soon. We
will need it if we still depend on Spring

- Gathering Loggers in a single property file: not yet done, and not yet
decided that it should be done. I didn't made my mind about that. wdyt
(except Ceki who gave us his though)? An option could be to just gather
the most verbose classes.

- if ( log.isDebugEnabled()) won't disappear everywhere. In case we want
to dump Objects, we can avoid this test. But in many places, we have
things like : <object>.toString(), so it can be costly to build. But we
will suppress as much test as possible.

- Not stated : numbering logs.

So, work in progress... Any thought, any idea could help. And of course
help is welcome, there are a *lot* of logs to check ;)

--Emmanuel L├ęcharny