directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: [MINA] What about a cluster for network load balancing?
Date Sat, 07 Jan 2006 17:29:42 GMT
fedechicco@gmail.com wrote:

> I was thinking about several MINA working on different jvms, each of
> theese
> connected with a single MINA thinking structure that do the protocol
> specified work.

That sick! I like it.  Definitely a more advanced way to develope a high
throughput protocol server out of multiple nodes.

> The connection between the thinking-block and the network-farm should be
> massively compressed, and the protocol that should be used for the
> connection between the two blocks should implements broadcast (ie a
> method like "writeToAll(Object tosend)" in a SessionGroup class).

There is probably a cut off were the simple model is better: meaning
where network latency cost/overhead is offset by load.

> The thinking-block use the MINAs of network-farm as if they are in the
> same
> jvm, using acceptors and connectors, binding the ports on the remote
> MINAs
> IP addresses as if they are some local IP addresses, on local interfaces.
>
> This can be usefull for each protocol that must receive one message and
> resend it over all the other connections (or a large part of them),
> because
> the final clients can connect to one of the network-farm MINAs
> indifferently, like if ther's a single server listening on different
> interfaces of the same pc.

Right that's really a neat result of this architecture.  You're not
limited by the number of sockets on a single node.

> I developed this same cluster model for a chat-like server system
> (Direct Connect protocol), and it
> works greatly, but I didn't know MINA yet, so this was implemented in a
> disgusting manner on a disgusting network framework, and it is only
> for one
> specific protocol, I'd like to have this implemented for any server
> application, transparently on MINA.

That's neat experiment.  I'd be interested in seeing a simple
application and some performance metrics.  I think TCP based protocols
would most benefit from this.

> Do you like the idea?

It sounds very interesting.  As with many ideas things come down to
doing some experimentation and testing out the theory.  I know that for
example SEDA sounds great on paper but can create so many headaches in
practice.

Alex