directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: [scm] [STATUS] Repository reorg and move to m2 "completed"
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2006 17:21:32 GMT
Brett Porter wrote:

>Ok, the assembly is working. I had to fix a few bugs on the way, but
>I'll push forward for an assembly plugin release soon.

That's great Brett thanks a bunch.  BTW one last thing though I cannot
seem to pull down that SNAPSHOT for the assembly plugin in the
apacheds-server-main/pom.xml.  Could you deploy the snapshot to
http://cvs.apache.org/maven-snapshot-repository?

>Some more comments...
>
>On 1/3/06, Brett Porter <brett.porter@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>>Yeah we got some issues with the groupId's because of every subproject
>>>picking its own package name.  I think we all need to derive from the
>>>same org.apache.directory base for packages.  Then make our groupId this
>>>or off of it like org.apache.directory.asn1.  WDYT?
>>>

>>You don't have to change the package names, but definitely should have
>>o.a.directory as a base for groups. You can either put them all in the
>>one group, or if you expect each subproject to have a number of
>>modules (like mina), then they might want their own group IDs like
>>you've suggested.
>>

>The main comment I have on the build is that the very flat layout
>might be better as a hierachy (which is similar to the comment above).
>That way, you can build all the apacheds modules, all the mina
>modules, or everything together. Currently, it's one or everything.

We actually have a mina-build and an apacheds-build for handling
specific builds.  Others have also had issues with this flat scheme.

>so:
>+ pom.xml
>+- apacheds
>  +- pom.xml
>  +- apacheds-shared
>    +- pom.xml
>  +- apacheds-server-main
>    +- pom.xml
>+- mina
>  +- pom.xml
>  +- mina-examples
>    +- pom.xml
>
>This would also give you the level to include the parent poms,
>removing the need for -build modules.

Right.  When migrating I followed the flat structure that was voted in.
Looks like this will change.  We can take a re vote if need be.
Personally I waver: I liked hierarchy with what you recommended but flat
looks good too.  I can go either way really.  What do the others think?

>I haven't done any more than the base build, but it worked out of the
>box on my clean environment. Nice!

This was possible thanks to the maven2 team. :)

Alex