directory-dev mailing list archives

From daune...@daune-consult.com
Subject Re: [Mina] 'messageSent' semantic
Date Wed, 11 Jan 2006 17:59:48 GMT
Quoting Niklas Therning <niklas@trillian.se>:

> daune.jf@daune-consult.com wrote:
>>

>> Do you mean that when the call
>> socket.getOutputStream().write(myBufferOf1000Bytes) returns, it does
>> not mean
>> that all 1000 bytes has been transmitted via TCP/IP to receiver?
>>
>> What does it mean then? That the 1000 bytes are in TCP/IP stack's buffer?
>
> Yes, I think so.
>
> Read this post:
>
> http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?forumID=11&threadID=635138
>
> /Niklas

Thanks. The post is not so clear.

I am surprised it is stated that TCP does not guarantee that message is
received. It does so. It guarantees packet delivery and packet order.

I guess they meant that with sockets, reception at TCP/IP level does not imply
consumption of the buffer by the receiving program.

J-F