directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject bi-weekly report #3
Date Mon, 09 Jan 2006 00:44:16 GMT
Hi all !

This is report #3, Happy New Year !!!

1) News
-------

* Alex is back in business !

* We have mavenized-2 the full structure. What a dramatic speed
improvment it is !

* We are slowly bur surely closing blocking issues, and we think we can
reach a 1.0RC1 really soon :)) Be aware that the 1.0 won't be fully
LdapV3 compliant
as we didn't implemented approximate search (cn ~= ze apasse krupp )

* A separate Mailing List has been voted for MINA. It will drain almost
80% of all the mails we get on directory-dev ... The ML will be
processed
soon by Apache Infra. Thanks guys from Ifra !

* Twix will be the new ASN.1 default codec. We may encounter some
problems with it, be patient, we will be very reactive !

* Persistent search is the first Control being added in the server. It
has been finished last friday.

2) Roadmap milestones
---------------------

Ok. Let's be a little bit optimistic. We think that we could reach a
1.0-RC1 for mid-january. Yes, really !

Here are the remaining points we have to deal with :
 - LDAPS : Trustin has a working implementation in his sanbox, se we are
confident that it could be included in trunk soon

 - Password encryption : Stefan Zoerner has worked out some kind of
implementation. We must check if it covers all the needs.

 - Size Limit implementation : to be done by Alex

 - Time limit implementation : to be done by Alex

 - Referral : this has to be discussed with Alex, but it should not be
complicated. Some work on URLs is being done.

 - Twix hardening : more testing are to be done. We know that some
special cases are not handled correctly. I will do my best to cover all
those in the next days.

 - DN problems : we still have two problems to be corrected. I hope we
will kill them by the end of next week.

 - Abandon Handler : Alex will take care of this one.

So here is our expectations :
 - 1.0 RC1 for mid january
 - As many RC as necessary
 - 1.0 for end of february

We will do some performance tests as soon as RC1 is out, and also some
load tests.

3) Bugs
-------

We have 27 bugs and 167 improvments

We still have 3 blockers, but one has been resolved and a new one has
been created :

DIRSNICKERS-117 has been fixed. A very stupid error, that took me 4
hours to surrender, and 1 minute to fix ;)

DIRMINA-159 has been added : it seems that this bug only appears on
Debian based Linux.

We still have the two previous following blockers :
DIRLDAP-73 : Heavy modifications are on their way...
DIREVE-310 : Status not changed since last time. It may not be a
blocker ?

Btw, may I ask people who have created JIRA issues that are now fixed to
close them?

4) Work in progress (Please fill the gaps ;)
-------------------

Alex : Size limit, Time Limit, Abandon Handler, and controls

Trustin : LDAPS, mainly, plus bug fixing. Mina 0.9.1?

Nicklas : Bug fixing in MINA

Stefan : Still some doco (that's cool ! We need doco a lot), plus
password encryption (wdyt?)

Ersin :

Enrique : Osgi ?

Emmanuel : DN refactoring. What a mess ;), and controls with Alex. May
be referral, too.

Phil :

Vince :

Brett : Helped us a lot to switch from a slow maven-1 to a brand new and
very fast Maven-2. This is really great !

5) Miscelleanous
----------------

This is a new year, and a very important one for us, Directory
community ! 1.0 will be out, and this will funnel a lot of users to us.
We will need dedication and patience. Some comments will be very
negative. We may well deserve a Hani post, who knows ? However, this is
really the result of many energy and commitment from many different
people all around the planet. A special thanks to Alex, who made it
possible !

I just want to reissue a point I raised two weeks ago :
"May I suggest that you have a look at
http://directory.apache.org/community/process/code-standards.html, and
give a feedback about it? I think that the code base is close to this
standard, but I want to be sure that this standard is up to date :) (For
instance : what about version number in the header)"
We had a convo with alex lately, and for sure we need to stick to some
kind of convention. Anyone interested in handling a whip?

Next report in two weeks !

--
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com