directory-dev mailing list archives

From Ersin Er <ersin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS][SP] Stored Procedure Languages
Date Mon, 12 Dec 2005 12:25:09 GMT
On 12/12/05, Marc Boorshtein <mboorshtein@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry, should have said "Stored Procedure" or script.  Will the
> scripts be executed by a particuler operation (ie an add is executed
> which executes a script) or will it be executed manually by some
> external mechanism?

Oh OK. Stored Procedures provide a great selection of usages. First
what we do to provide excutable code in the server is publishing these
stored procedures as extended operations. In fact we have only one
generic extended operation (say StoredProcedureExtendedOperation)
which accepts a call specification and executes the appropriate SP on
the server. Briefly, we are providing users the ability to "define
their own extended operations."

SPs will also be used for Triggers. Triggers will be able to fire SPs
only. Say an Add operation will fire a SP (which will probably have to
implement an interface like AfterAddStoredProc) and appropriate
parameters in that context will be passed to the SP (via the method
forced by the interface).

There are other usages of SP like scheduled tasks, etc. Finally I can
say that a stored procedure can be executed by a user or by an
operation automatically. This changes up to the context in which we
use them. But the Extended Operation mechanism is the main objective
now.

Thanks for interest.

> Marc
>
> On 12/12/05, Ersin Er <ersin.er@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 12/12/05, Marc Boorshtein <mboorshtein@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Performance will probably be an issue with almost any scripting
> > > language that provides some more dynamic capabilities then java.
> >
> > Of course. Just trying to choose a reasoable one.
> >
> > > Also, what are you planning to use as the mapping model?  For
> > > instance, will it be a single method for eac operation or a method for
> > > the input and one for the output?
> >
> > I'm not sure I exactly understand what you mean by mapping here. We
> > have DIT based Java classes whose only one static method can be called
> > as a stored procedure at a time. For scripting languages we may force
> > the script (again in the DIT) to have a function/method with certain
> > name (in case we cannot use reflection here) or we may use the script
> > as a whole. And for parameters we'll always use Java objects (and
> > primitives) and we will wrap them with any method required by the
> > scripting language and put in a context (as required by the scripting
> > language) to be passed to the script.
> >
> > > Marc

I've

--