directory-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Boorshtein <mboorsht...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS][SP] Stored Procedure Languages
Date Mon, 12 Dec 2005 11:38:14 GMT
Performance will probably be an issue with almost any scripting
language that provides some more dynamic capabilities then java.  Take
Jython (I don't know the inner workings of BeanShell) as an example.
In order to support the flexability of Python on the JVM, there is a
LOT of overhead.  Even if you compile the Jython to bytecode, each
line of the python script is still interpreted, just in a Java class
(you can actually see the .java source once you compile a jython
class).  So at least for this discussion I think it would be fair to
make the term "performance" relative.  Often when choosing between a
"script" and a "plugin" when deploying any kind of virtual directory,
I will usually build a script in order to prototype an idea, but will
re-write it as a plugin before going into production (unless the
script was VERY basic).

Also, what are you planning to use as the mapping model?  For
instance, will it be a single method for eac operation or a method for
the input and one for the output?

Marc