directory-dev mailing list archives

From Trustin Lee <>
Subject Re: [mina] Blocks Extensible Exchange Protocol (BEEP)
Date Sat, 24 Dec 2005 02:15:15 GMT
Hi Simon,

2005/12/24, Simon Raess <>:
> We are using BEEP in an application (see
> Unfortunately, the BEEP library we use proved to be unstable and the
> development of it seems very slow. So naturally, I'm looking for
> alternatives (that's were Mina comes into play). The core building
> blocks of BEEP fit our application quite well (that's one reason we'd
> like to keep the BEEP foundation).
> BEEP allows to open several 'channels' over one 'session' (in the TCP
> mapping of BEEP this results in multiple channels beeing multiplexed
> over one single TCP connection). For each channel, there is a so
> called 'profile', which specifies the messages exchanged over a
> channel. The profile used on the first channel (channel 0) defines
> messages used to create and close channels.
> As far as I can tell, there is no such thing as channels in Mina. I
> guess it would be possible to implement BEEP on top of Mina. Has ever
> anybody thought about doing so? Or would that be a 'stupid
> idea' (tm)? Any ideas?

It looks like BEEP is a protocol framework which defines core message
formats and some communication procedure, and you can build your own
protocol on top of it.  Right?

BEEP is definitely an interesting idea, and it will make protocol
implementation much easier once it is implemented.  For now, MINA doesn't
provide BEEP provider yet.  But we're very interested with it.  It can even
bear SOAP messages.

But we don't have much human resource for now to implement BEEP and provide
it out-of-the-box unfortunately.  We might start on it after MINA 1.0 is
released.  Of course, any contribution is welcome.

Thank you for your great suggestion,
PGP Key ID: 0x854B996C

View raw message