directory-dev mailing list archives

From Trustin Lee <trus...@gmail.com>
Subject [mina][ANN] Apache MINA 0.9 Released: A Network Application Framework
Date Fri, 23 Dec 2005 08:11:37 GMT
The Apache Directory team has announced the release of MINA, a network
application framework, version 0.9.

Apache MINA (Multipurpose Infrastructure for Network Applications) is a
network application framework which helps users develop network applications
easily by providing abstractions of network and protocol I/O layers. The
MINA project website
<http://directory.apache.org/subprojects/network/>includes resources
such as an introductory presentation (PPT
(with animations)
<http://directory.apache.org/subprojects/network/mina.ppt>or PDF
(without animations)<http://directory.apache.org/subprojects/network/mina.pdf>)
and an implementation demo
movie<http://directory.apache.org/subprojects/network/demo.htm>.
Additionally, 6
examples<http://directory.apache.org/subprojects/network/getting_started.html>are
provided to help you learn MINA even under serious time constraint.

Feature List:

   - Abstract API which supports various transport types (TCP and UDP)
   - Very easy to learn
   - Unit test friendly
   - Extensible architecture
   - In-VM pipe communication
   - Built-in leader-followers thread pool
   - Support for SSL/TLS including StartTLS
   - Support for text-based protocols
   - Support for stream-based I/O

Changes since 0.8.x:

   - Revamped the overall API reflecting user feedback
   - More utility classes and methods
   - Support for StartTLS
   - Out-of-the-box protocol codecs which helps rapid implementation:
      - Object serialization codec
      - Text line codec
   - A user can specify the number of NIO Selector threads, which can
   improve the performance when running on a multi-processor machine.

The Apache Directory project team is always open for your feedback. Please
let us know what you think about MINA.

Cheers,
Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/