directory-dev mailing list archives

From Trustin Lee <trus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [apacheds] Moving to OSGi
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2005 08:29:26 GMT
Hi Enrique,

2005/12/21, Enrique Rodriguez <enriquer9@gmail.com>:

> Trustin Lee wrote:
> > I'd like to know if we can embed OSGi kernel into OSGi kernel.  I heard
> > someone say that it is possible.  If it is true, I think we can consider
> > building ApacheDS on top of OSGi platform.  I think it will save a lot
> > of time for us ( e.g. dynamic reconfiguration).  But I'm almost a layman
> > in OSGi field for now, so I'm not sure this kind of thought is right
> > thing yet.  It would be great if we have some discussion here.
>
> It's possible, but I have no idea why you would want to do so.  Perhaps
> you are thinking of other IoC containers which nest components?  In OSGi
> you have a single "backplane" that services register with, the Service
> Registry.  Wiring is scoped by LDAP filters and Java interfaces and can
> be secured by both framework means and Java security.

It is because we need to simplify the way ApacheDS is embedded.  For now, we
can use JNDI InitialContext simply.  We can create our own OSGi container in
it and hide internal implementation detail.  Of course, the users who know
the internal of ApacheDS could specify the reference to OSGi container so we
can reuse it.

> We have a lot of features to implement and every feature we implement
> > will require a good extension point IMHO.  If we standardize the
> > extension, configuration, and discovery mechanism using OSGi, I think
> > we'll be happier than ever.
>
> I, of course, am fully in support of a dedicated focus by Apache
> Directory on OSGi and for the same reasons you state.

Perhaps we'll make this happen after we release 1.0.  For now, we don't have
much time for migration unfortunately.

Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/
PGP Key ID: 0x854B996C