directory-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Raess <co...@gmx.ch>
Subject [mina] Blocks Extensible Exchange Protocol (BEEP)
Date Fri, 23 Dec 2005 23:04:15 GMT
Hi

We are using BEEP in an application (see http://beepcore.org/).
Unfortunately, the BEEP library we use proved to be unstable and the
development of it seems very slow. So naturally, I'm looking for
alternatives (that's were Mina comes into play). The core building
blocks of BEEP fit our application quite well (that's one reason we'd
like to keep the BEEP foundation).

BEEP allows to open several 'channels' over one 'session' (in the TCP
mapping of BEEP this results in multiple channels beeing multiplexed
over one single TCP connection). For each channel, there is a so
called 'profile', which specifies the messages exchanged over a
channel. The profile used on the first channel (channel 0) defines
messages used to create and close channels.

As far as I can tell, there is no such thing as channels in Mina. I
guess it would be possible to implement BEEP on top of Mina. Has ever
anybody thought about doing so? Or would that be a 'stupid
idea' (tm)? Any ideas?

Simon Raess