directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject [scm] [STATUS] Repository reorg and move to m2 "completed"
Date Sat, 31 Dec 2005 10:02:45 GMT
These past few days I've been moving the following top projects into our
new directory structure:

directory/
  asn1
  apacheds
  network
  shared
  protocol-providers

A few things still remain ...

directory/
  clients
  naming
  authx
  standalone
  sitedocs

These remaining projects are either not critical (clients, sitedocs) or
they are not familiar enough for me to mess with them (authx and
naming).  Here's a breakdown of the move:

 o all projects migrated to m2 (using 2.0.1)
 o flattened and moved trunks to directory/trunk
 o moved old branches to directory/branches or to personal directories
in sandbox
 o moved releases to directory/releases
 o broke up MINA into a multiproject
 o consolidated ASN.1 multiproject into a single project
    - moved old ber implementation to sandbox
    - merged codec, der, newber
 o consolidated ldap shared (directory/shared/ldap) into single project
as ldap-common
    - moved apache-provider (code named Snickers) to sandbox (need an attic)
    - moved snacc-provider to sandbox also
    - merged apache2-provider (code named Twix) and common
    - switched default ASN.1 provider used by ldap-common to Twix

We had some casualties:
---------------------------

No more emma plugin for MINA.

Site doc generation is not setup.  We need some kind of scheme for this
with the new m2 functionality.

I could not find a way to do what javaapp plugin does for the
apacheds-server-main.  We need to figure something out for minimal
packaging.  For now it builds an executable jar but does not hold all
dependencies.

Twix is broken causing the built server to fail on all search operations
(ClassCastExceptions somewhere in the code).

POMs are no longer filled with all the info in old m1 project.xml.  Only
the minimal set of elements are present to build although a couple
projects may have all fields transfered.

Things are still a bit messy.

New structure review
------------------------

directory/
   releases
   trunk
   branches
   sandbox/
       foouser/private-branch
       baruser/private-branch

Everything is flat so feel free to cd into directory/trunk and give a
try at a build with mvn install which builds everything.  You can cd
into individual directories or directory subproject ****-build folders
to just build a project in question.

To setup eclipse or idea (or both here):

mvn install
mvn eclipse:eclipse
mvn idea:idea

Notes on m2 profiles
------------------------

There are two kinds of profiles within some poms.  There are regression
test profiles and jdk profiles.  If you build you'll notice it takes no
time at all due to m2 speed up and to the fact that some apacheds
regression/integration tests have been disabled.  You'll see warnings
telling you that they are not being run.  You can run these tests by
building with the -Dregressions switch to mvn command like so:

mvn -Dregressions install

If you do this the build will break when testing the server in the
apacheds-server-unit module.  This is due to the Twix switch over and
will be fixed I'm sure rapidly.

Another profile has been setup for MINA.  When running the 1.4 jdk some
modules that depend on 1.5 APIs will not be built instead of blowing
chunks and stopping the build.  When running 1.5 all modules build.

Where do we go from here?
--------------------------------

Well there's so much still left to do.  At least now we have the build
working somewhat. Here are some remaining work items I can foresee:

1. Get apacheds-server-unit regression tests to pass. I kind of hit a
brick wall here. We're now on the Twix provider. I set it as the default
provider to use in the ldap-common subproject.

2. Find a solution or replacement for apacheds-server-main

3. Get sitedocs building for all projects.  Need to figure out a scheme
for this I think.  Need to migrate the sitedocs top level project into
the trunk which is still at the top of the directory repo.

4. Migrate all the other top projects besides the ones concerning the
directory server.

5. Deploy some jars to ibiblio.

Alex