directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Zoerner <szoer...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [apacheds] SSL support and Java 5
Date Thu, 29 Dec 2005 12:59:19 GMT
Hi Trustin!

Trustin Lee wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I'm adding LDAPS support in apacheds-server.  It is implemented in
> ServerContextFactory.startLDAPS(...).  I used MINA SSLFilter and
> javax.net.ssl package for it.  This means Java 5 is mandatory to start
> up ApacheDS LDAPS.  I'm not sure ApacheDS will run in JDK 1.4, but I
> guess we need to load the classes dynamically to make it run in JDK 1.4.
>
> Do we need SSL in JDK 1.4?  ...

For a user who runs ApacheDS standalone as an LDAP server it is somewhat
easy to select the underlying JRE. Java 5 would be no problem from my
point of view. Almost all OS already have an appropriate JRE available
(not sure about OS/2, z/OS and other even more exotic stuff).

But because people like to embed ApacheDS in applications (like Geronimo
or Jetspeed-2 do), and as long as these application should run with
older Java versions as well, I think it is quite important to support at
least base functionality with JDK 1.4. Does ldaps/SSL belong to this
base? I am not sure, but I believe it does not.

Greetings from snow covered Germany, Stefan