directory-dev mailing list archives

From Niklas Therning <nik...@trillian.se>
Subject Re: [mina] Thread Pools, Concurrent connections and Performance
Date Tue, 27 Dec 2005 14:12:51 GMT
Alessandro Torrisi wrote:
> IoThreadPoolFilter f = (IoThreadPoolFilter)
> reg.getIoAcceptor(TransportType.SOCKET).getFilterChain().get("threadPool");
> f.setMaximumPoolSize(10);
>
> I discovered that this piece of code gives me  "NullPointerException", I
> have no FilterChain applied to the Acceptor and in my Eclipse debugger I
> can see:

 From what I can tell from the code you have included below you are
using MINA 0.9. As I explained in my previous mail the code above will
only work in MINA 0.8 (in 0.9 you will get an NPE since f will be null).
In MINA 0.9 you can try to to extend SimpleServiceRegistry instead as I
described earlier:

public class MyServiceRegistry extends SimpleServiceRegistry {
     public MyServiceRegistry() {
         super();
         threadPoolFilter.setMaximumPoolSize(10);
     }
}

Please note that the most important thing for scalability is that you
never perform any blocking operations in your IoHandler implementation.
Or at least make sure that they only block for a very short time. The
code samples you included do not give enough information on whether you
have any blocking operations.

> I'm stopped ! I don't know where to look. I think there's too little
> documentation or too few examples for Mina, I think more complex samples
> are needed !
> Regards, Alex

Yes, you may be right about that. But your open source DC server will be
an excellent example of a more complex MINA application. In the meantime
the MINA community is here to help you out.

BTW, is your open source project hosted somewhere publicly like on
sourceforge? If it is I could have a look if you want to.

/Niklas